Unless you live in a remote cabin, deep in the Brazilian jungle…you will likely deal with idiots each day.
- The suburban SUV driver who cut you off.
- The co worker who shames you in front of your other co-workers
- The client who doesn’t get what you’re saving them from
Here is the method to dealing with idiots.
Step 1: Smile
Step 2: Nod
Step 3: Move on
This three-step approach is actually really useful for conversations, especially mundane office conversations you have to endure. Most people (not you, of course) know nothing of the world…but talk like they do. (Even if they are talking about their own expertise!)
So when someone complains about Trump…or capitalism…or those “evil” elitists…or anything…
Remember: Smile/Nod/Move on.
You gain nothing by engaging with your fellow idiots. To be socially upward, you don’t aim to win an argument. NO. You aim to win
You win by not playing or getting riled up. Smile/Nod/Move on. That’s all.
- Co-worker mocking you because you’re hard working? Smile/Nod/Move on.
- That girl misunderstood your message, got offended and now ghosted you? Smile/Nod/Move on.
- You take on a new diet/habit and people around you label you as “Eccentric”? Smile/Nod/Move on.
Your goal today and tomorrow…be ready to Smile/Nod/Move on.
Have you had instances where you wish you did Smile/Nod/Move on? Let me know in the comments below!